Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wednesday night's not really alright for fighting, just for being busy.

Well, today was pretty fun, all things considered. There was an AED meeting at 5pm, and then a SWE meeting at 6pm, and then a band concert at 7pm.
The AED meeting was awesome. Among other things, parameters for the iCheckpoint were give out, so now we can get started on a cohesive and entertaining presentation. I'm really excited about next week's meeting; we're going over HAPI themes and what'll be happening next year. Ray Price was named the new Co-founder of iFoundry, which was great. After the initial presentation, we split off into our iTeams. AED headed for the Product Dissection Lab, which by the way is amazing. Something new happened in the meeting this week. Instead of everyone sitting down at a desk and staring blankly at me while I get in front of them and meander my way around the agenda, we all gathered around a table and had a discussion about what was going to happen next week. This was a far more effective way of communicating within meetings, so I think desks are out for good. For the iCheckpoint topics, we were able to split up into separate groups: one taking care of identity, social, and academics, and the other taking care of world of work and service. I'm helping with the world of work and service presentation. The toughest part of working in that group is trying to find a time when we're all available. For Pete's sake, we're freshmen! How did we get so busy so fast?
But I digress. We did agree on a meeting time, and then I went to work on our world of work presentation. It was really surprising, because my first instinct was to go to the whiteboard and draw diagrams. Dan Roam must have been telepathically communicating with me, or something. But the diagram that I drew looked pretty spiffy, so some of the group members suggested just building a few for our presentation, as opposed to the traditional powerpoint slides (I think sock puppets were also mentioned). I like that idea, but we'll see what happens as we go along. I'm excited that I'm learning new things, albeit inadvertently.
I left the AED meeting early to head to the SWE meeting. I was named SWE-ster of the Month, which basically means I went to a lot of different SWE stuff in September. They gave me a prize that included food, which made me happy. The prize also had a whiteboard and a sudoku book. I liked it. The Walsch group was presenting at the meeting, so I was depressed that I had to leave early and didn't get a chance to talk to the recruiters. The Walsch group builds many different kinds of buildings (basically everything except homes). Being a mechanical engineer, I love that kind of stuff. Oh well...
The band concert went well. I first arrived 15 minutes before check-in, when one of the volunteers informed me that the "ladies were to wear black, not white blouses." I rushed to the dorm, threw on a black top, rushed back, and made it with time to spare. Granted, I was sweating like I was in a sauna on the sun, but it's a small price to pay for looking professional and being on time. The third chair tuba player laughed at my story, and then handed me a towel to wipe the sweat off my face (I think that's a little too much information; sorry).
After that small incident, I played probably one of the best concerts of my musical career. It was an enjoyable experience.
I love being in band this semester because for me it's a great creative outlet. All day students are forced to memorize and optimize and hypothesize. In band, students just play. It keeps me in touch with my "creative" side because making music takes different thinking than calculus or physics. That's the main reason why I like it.
Anyway, I'm rambling a bit. That's about all I have for tonight! Until next time, keep your stick on the ice!

No comments:

Post a Comment